Sunday, June 10, 2012

Reason why I learn Korean language

Seems you guys are curious about why do I spend my precious time learning Korean language, which some of you might be thinking that I better go shopping or browse some legit bands to listen or gorgeous models to spazz like I always do every single day. And no, I won't answer, "Because... YOLO man YOLFO!". YOLO or YOLFO (You Only Live Fuckin Once)? It's an answer for those skeptical people who don't want to think before doing something. Even Rene, my German daddy, asked me why don't I study other language? For example; German, Japanese, or Chinese.  He thinks that Japan and China are more developed than South Korea, which is wrong. Plus, these languages are hard as shit. I mean, look at those finger-teaser fonts! I gave up before even officially touching the book.

Not only my daddy, some of my friends (and maybe you?) had their own opinions. They thought that I learn Korean because of...

Super Junior
..... because you naughty naughty.. hey mister simple!
*Super Junior's Mr. Simple is faintly heard upon the other side ㅋㅋㅋㅋ*
or
2PM
or
Boys Before Flowers (drama)

or whatever Korean pop boybands and melancholic dramas out there. It's also wrong. I had my first level of Korean language before even knowing those Korean pop boybands existence. Those talented yet best-looking American and British band dudes are enough for me.

The reason why I learn Korean language is actually related to my previous study. As you know, I major Social Development and Welfare in University of Gadjah Mada with high hope that I can give something great for the development of my country, thus, I have to study harder and enrich my knowledge with social development and welfare studies as much as my brain can impound. Until that day, my lecturer told me about Saemaul Undong, a social development program that originally comes from South Korea.

Saemaul Undong

I was so curious about that program so I decided to take Politic and Economy of South Korea class, faculty-crossing course at the Faculty of Cultural Studies because, frankly, I've been very interested on learning about social, politic, and economic developments in Korea. I pledged myself to develop my Korean language ability so I could read Korean books and interact with Korean natives properly. There was a lot of lessons I could take from the experience of South Korea: success of Saemaul Undong, South Korea's efforts to maintain its relationship with North Korea, economic policies such as the Sunshine Policy, the Economic Planning Board (EPB), Export-Oriented Industrialization (EOI), Heavy Chemical Industry (HCI), the implication of creative economic policies with Hallyu and other extraordinary culture, and so much more. These economic policies ultimately led South Korea to be a developed country as it is today only within 50 years. It is very necessary to be learned by developing countries such as Indonesia.

The next couple days I randomly browsed the best universities in the world which offer Social Development and Welfare studies because I always want to continue my study after my graduation, and I got one awesome university of all which was none other than Seoul National University. Why is it awesome? Because they offer amazing courses. Why amazing? Because I don't find those courses everywhere. What courses? Have a look..

Seoul National University

 It's just a few, you can find the rest of the courses list here Seoul National University

Other reason, South Korea is now (June, 2012) the third of the biggest investors in Indonesia, after Singapore and Japan. That means, shitloads Korean companies have been gradually, slowly but sure, invading Indonesia and they need more local workers. From Miwon to Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Etude House, shit and more shit. Standing ovation for bilateral relation between Indonesia and South Korea.

And now you're still wondering why I learn Korean language? Pffttt.


Fingers are always crossed. Hope is always high.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment